Population dataset formation for Benmap CE

Hi everyone,
I can’t understand why should I classify the dataset by different age groups? How BenMap uses these age groups in calculation? If I have a age group classified population dataset and another dataset which is not classified by age group, what will be the difference between the results of these two datasets? Please, anyone explain me when I need to classify the population data into different age group and when I don’t need to do this. And how the classified age group works?
Regards,
Junayed

Hi Junayed,

The program will calculate impacts for each age strata. As an example: let’s say I imported population using a single strata of 0-99. The program will calculate results for this age range. This means that I cannot (reliably) estimate results for, say, children. However, if I import populations ages 0-17, 18-64 and 65-99, I can more reliably estimate results among these population age groups.

Additional information regarding population parameters can be found in the user manual.

1 Like

Hi Neal,
I am very happy that you replied to me. Thanks a lot. I have understood the matter.

I have run Mexico and China data following the BenMAP training materials. One thing I am not sure is how Benmap does the calculation if the age separation category is different among the population, incidence rate, and health impact faction data. For example, for Mexico City data, the age was separated by three groups (0-14, 15-64, and 65up), the incidence rate by every five years (0-4, 5-9…. ); but health impact function only has one group 30-99. The population data do not show how to separate the population data around 30 (i.e., being included in the group 15 to 64)

Hi Beizhan yan,
I have tried to calculate result for different Age group. But Benmap always gives only one singal result. It doesn’t calculate classified health Impact. I think the health impact function needs to be classified as age classification. You can try once.

Thanks, Junayed. Interesting for the same results for different age groups! It is a puzzle for me how BenMAP do calculation when the age strata in population data is not consistent with that in health impact function.