Importing non-EPA standard health impact functions

I would like to use a set of functions that are not part of the set of EPA Standard Health Functions. Specifically, I want to use the functions from Winquist et al, 2012 that examined PM2.5 exposure and ED visits for asthma (all ages) as well as well as ozone exposure and hospital admissions and ED visits for asthma. Since these functions are not pre-loaded into BenMAP-CE, does that mean I need to add all the parameters for these functions manually in the “Health Impact Function Definition” window? Or, is there an easier way to import these functions into BenMAP-CE?

Hi David,

This is a great question. To import these risk coefficients to BenMAP-CE, you will need to:

1. Calculate a beta parameter and standard error
  2. Specify a new health impact function by either: (a) adding the new function to the program using the function editor or (b) importing several functions in an import file.

This spreadsheet will calculate beta coefficients and format your health impact functions to be imported to BenMAP-CE.

Wonderful. Thanks, Neal!

Thank you so much for your explanations and guideline, Fann! For my case, I would like to make a new health impact function which evaluates PM2.5 exposure because my incident dataset is downloaded from the BenMAP regional data website, and I cannot find the health impact function for these two mortality endpoints (COPD and Cerebrovascular) in EPA Standard Health Impact Functions. Based on your above explanation, I need to calculate a beta parameter and standard error first based on some literature, Right? So, I would like to know if I could calculate those values (beta parameter and standard error) for my case by using the spreadsheet, which you supported above, as my guideline? Could you give me some advice and guidelines, please?

Dear Lisa,
Do you mean GEMM model developed by Burnett et al., 2018. As I read from this paper, this model can applied well in BenMAP. However I can not find more detail in BenMAP user guide. And cannot find in HIF > Filter Dataset of the example cases (US, China, and Detroit) in BenMAP-CE v1.5.0.4.

Dear Neal_Fann,
How can I use GEMM model with BenMAP? Do I need to calculate the beta parameter and standard error as you guided in the previous comments?

Thanks
Ha Chi

I was mistaken – those GEMM functions I mentioned earlier aren’t included in BenMAP-CE v1.5.0.4, but I believe will be included in the next public release of BenMAP — I apologize for any confusion I caused!!

Yes, for any HIF you’re inputting manually into BenMAP, please follow the instructions and use the spreadsheet Neal provided earlier in this thread.