Defining custom summer season for Ozone and how to go about HIFs in that case?

(QUAZI ZIAUR RASOOL) #1

In case of my Base and control AQ files, i use D8HourMax as Metric right, but since it’s averaged for 15 June-15 September, 2011 simulation period for my custom Colorado 4 km x 4km domain:
Will i write “mean” in Seasonal Metric and leave Annual metric as blank? (i.e. How should my base and control AQ grid csv files be arranged)
How do i define this “season” though (15 June-15 September)? Is it same as warm season?
And using HIFs for warm/summer season avg would be appropriate here i think (i.e. can i still use them, although my period exactly may/may not match warm season as defined by default)? Can you point me those for D8HourMax O3 for different end point?
Will that mean changing “Incidence rate” csv as well? if yes, what changes should be made?

(Neal) #2

Hi Quazi,

I’ll answer your questions in order:

1. This depends on whether you are importing a hourly or daily time series of ozone concentrations or are instead importing a single average value for the season. If the latter, then write “Mean” under the statistic column and leave the seasonal metric column blank.
  2. You could define the ozone season to use these dates. Please consult the user manual for detailed instructions.
  3. Please consult the user manual appendices for a list of concentration-response relationships.
  4. Can you please clarify your question?

(QUAZI ZIAUR RASOOL) #3
  1. I am using a single average value for the season (in my case 15 June-15 september, 2011) . So , the columns will be like this: " 1) Column 2) Row 3) Metric (D8HourMax) 3) Seasonal Mean (blank) 4) Statstic Mean (Mean) 5) Vaues"
    i thought there was Annual Mean after Seasonal mean, can you clarify that?

2. Just to confirm, In the “Observation type” Do i choose “Hourly” or “Daily”, since i am using a single average value for the season

3. So this brings me to your other answer on incidence rate (Clarification to q4):
    “The program will then use this per-person per-day rate to calculate effects for each day defined in the pollutant definition. For example, by default, the ozone pollutant is defined as beginning on May 1 and ending Sep 30. Hence, the program will calculate impacts for each of the 152 days of this season.”
    So in my case it shouldn’t be different from what default May 1 to Sept 30 case uses (mine is June 15 to Sep 15), since you mentioned it is “per-person per-day”?. In this case can i use the ones available in Default US setup or any changes are needed to those?

(QUAZI ZIAUR RASOOL) #4

I followed the method you prescribed for loading Baseline and control model data: Leaving Seasonal metric as blank and Statistic as ‘Mean’. I just chose “Ozone” as pollutant. (Note: I have a single value: average over a season in summer). i get the following error. i think there was a confusion earlier, as i think the “statistic” column works for “monitor data” & not “Model data” ?

(Neal) #5

Hi Quazi.

1. Did you name your column “Seasonal Mean” or “Seasonal Metric”? It should be the latter. Try editing it and see if the file will load.
  2. The instructions I provided above were for importing air quality modeling data. Are you using modeling or monitoring data?
  3. You’ll want to import your incidence rates as per person per day (i.e., #events/#people/365)

(QUAZI ZIAUR RASOOL) #6
  1. i used Seasonal Metric , but left it & Annual Metric columns as “blank”
  2. Using CAMx modeled average value for June-September period
  3. How can i generate incidence rates for a custom domain like, Colorado? Is their an approach like Popgrid which can do that.